Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Female Group Dynamic ... another disappointment?

How bout I list them for a second? You don't mind at all, do you?

Xscape, Total, EnVogue, Destiny's Child (before and after), Danity Kane, SWV, TLC, and whoever else from the 90s up until now. I'm damn sure I listened to every single one of them. I have a soft spot for female groups. I commit myself to their music, and what do I get in return. Heart ache.

Where does this heartache comes from? Simple. Either they break up or they just fade away. I am a sucker! It makes me sick. I set myself up for failure. Their lyrics haunt me in my sleep. AND I WELCOME IT! Damn it all.

So I can tell you why I am no longer feeling the female group dynamic, or any group dynamic. I'm tired of the break ups (DANITY KANE!!) and the fading away for no good reason (EVERYONE ELSE!!). And I sit year after year waiting for another album, an album that will never be made.

I remember last year on the BET awards during Alicia Key's performance when she brought out SWV, En Vogue, and TLC (r.i.p. Left-Eye). I was sooooooooo happy about that. To see all those groups still singing together. I had hope again. It revived my faith in groups. Then Danity Kane announced their breakup. I loved me some Danity Kane. I knew every song. I planned to go to one of their concert. I SPENT MONEY ON THEIR ALBUM!! But I was left disappointed because people couldn't get their act together. Maybe I should expect that groups aren't meant to be.

Now its 2009 and I'm back on that same train leading to my destruction of my faith in groups. I opened my heart once more. Two groups fought to get my attention. Electrik Red and Rich Girl.

Let's be clear, I am a fan of the "different." I don't like hearing music that sounds the same as everybody else. So who did I go for? Electrik Red. I know its a stretch for some of you, but I love them. And I love how the lead singer has a un-lead-singer-like voice. She sounds like Kelis. And I love the raspy-ness of it.

On the other side of the spectrum we have Rich Girl. I have a problem with them. For one the lead singer looks and sound just like Beyonce. I don't need another Beyonce in my life. It was a turn off for me. I wasn't the biggest Destiny's Child fan from the jump. It took the last album to get me to be 100% in their corner. I have a feeling that Rich Girl is going to have to struggle hard to stay on my radar. To be honest I have to learn about them, see if they overcame anything.

The verdict: I'm for the underdog. That is Electrik Red.

I love their personalities and I respect their grind, point blank. That's enough to get me to swipe the card. I'll rock with them until the end.

Rich Girl isn't the type of group for me, even though I like the single.

Check out these tracks:

Electrik Red - Friend Lover



Rich Girl - He Ain't With Me Now (Tho)



What do you think?

1 People Listening:

Anonymous said...

With rich girl it seems like something is missing plus I cannot get out of my mind old girl SeVen used to be in TG4... in addition Eletrick Red doesn't catch my attention it seems like everyone wants to be "different" which in fact your just end up like everyone else who is doing the same thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails