Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lost In A Sea of Reality

I think about a lot of things when I'm not on twitter. Sometimes my mind runs away from me and I can't control it. I can't stop it. It just keeps running. But it does that for a good reason. Whatever I'm thinking about, I most certainly miss and desperately want it back. It never fails.

What am I talking about, you ask.

Good ol' TV.

I watch more TV than you may know. While some people find themselves pulling away from it, it's drawing me closer. I'm dazzled at the new arrangement of shows that have been produced in the last few years. Drama is my genre. Them people know how to create some good shows. One day I'll be able to write that good and make my own show.

But I'm not saying all TV is good. The point of this blog is music. It's missing from TV. Don't yall remember the old MTV, BET, and sometimes VH1? Now look at it. A mecca of reality shows, all of which I do not watch. I steer clear of these channels at certain times of the day when reality shows dominate.

What I wanna know is, if these so called music channels is suppose to be music oriented, where are all the videos. See I do not have MTV Jams or VH1 Soul. I depend on BET and MTV for my music, but in this decade...it has failed me.

What happened to The Box on MTV? TRL? What happened to BET playing videos in the afternoon? The Center (the show with Julissa on it)? Rap City? The old 106&Park with Free and AJ? That midnight love show with all the slow R&B music (I forgot what its called)? Didn't BET use to play videos in the morning too?

These channels are sellouts. They reduced the music time slots on each channel. Condensed it to fill the rest of the day with reality TV. Last night I managed to stay up til 4am and flipped over to VH1. They were playing a program called "Nocturnal State" where they were playing music videos. At the same time MTV was playing "A.Mtv." They too were playing music videos. And I sat there wondering. Why do I have to stay up pass 4 a.m. just to watch music videos. Bad enough The deal comes on BET after 2, or something like that. I don't really watch that because I don't like the guy hosting it. But this is not right. Why should I accept this? Is this the future of music? Being replaced by reality TV?

It saddens me that it is this way. It's the reason why I miss 90's TV so much, because of the non-sense I have to deal with now.

What the hell happened? Where did TV go wrong? And who's responsible? That's what I want to know.

1 People Listening:

Lynnie said...

I agree w/you, Brina. My brother and I used to watch The Box all day long waiting for our fave vids to come on. Then we would also get exposed to other music genres and find faves there too. My friends and I in college watched Midnight Love on BET every single night (and that was only four yrs ago!) VH1 used to show the classic rock/pop vids and they had pretty decent movies about rock group back then. I'm not sure when the exact moment happened, but they've all turned to S--t!

Even when Real World and Road Rules appeared, it was still mostly music.

It's a shame.

Related Posts with Thumbnails