Monday, August 17, 2009

She Who Reads Always Suggests



::Synopsis::
Paralegal Finley Anderson Tanner (F.A.T. to her enemies) knows a good deal when she sees one, but a raw deal is a different matter…

Finley knows it can’t be good news when someone knocks on her door at 5:40 a.m.. Her hunch proves correct. Finley’s pal Jane is hysterical and clad only in a negligee. It all started when Jane went out on a blind date the previous night with a hunk named Paolo—and ended when she woke up next to his corpse. Finley knows Jane wouldn't hurt a fly, especially one with a zipper. Too bad the police don't agree...

Finley needs to post bail and hire an attorney for Jane. But with most of her cash tied up in credit card debt, she has to do the unthinkable: hit her mother up for money. As if thawing out the Ice Queen isn't hard enough, there's the unthinkable, part II: resisting McGarrity. Yes, dangerously sexy P.I. Liam McGarrity has offered his services...for a discounted rate. To prove her theory that Jane and Paolo were drugged by the real killer, Finley will have to buckle down and work with Liam. She’ll just have to remind herself that she already has the perfect boyfriend in her FedEx pilot Patrick...

::My Thoughts::
After a long hiatus from reading (since April maybe), I finally sat my ass down and picked up a book. I wish Twitter didn't happen to me because I would've blew through 10 books this summer. I usta be a beast when it came to reading. UGH! WHAT HAPPENED!! But at any rate, I picked up this book because one of my favorite authors suggested that I should read it. The books I tend to read nowadays have a formula. Murder, Adventure, Guns, Strange/Mysterious love, Sex, Foolishness, and Sexy Cops. BONG! That's what I read. And this book had all of that except the Sex ... BOO! I mean there were almost moments, but whatever. I still liked the book tho. I took alot of notes from it, you know, notes to make me a better writer. This book happens to have very particular characters and their specific traits were very well written. I liked the whole set up, the details, the actions, the anticipation...everything. And it had funny moments. I appreciate books that can make me laugh on a bus and have people looking at me like I'm crazy. I love that.

::Problem::
Well this story has a classic damsel in distress formula. It pisses me off. The female is always getting in trouble. She always make stupid mistakes. Says stupid things at times. Sure it adds to the rising action and the plot, but COME ON! Let the woman do at least one thing that involves a gun. That's how I write. The woman can have her weak moments, but she can handle herself. She can have moments when she seriously needs help, but damn. Give the woman enough rope to hang herself with and whatever actions she make will help move things along.

But you can't always get what you want. And I'm okay with that. I still find this book a good read. Sure you may need a dictionary to look up some words, but whats the point of reading if your not learning at the same time. Open your mind people.

You can pick up this book from any book store. 6.99 is cheap. Always go for paperback books, they are always cheap. Hell you can get it for free at your local library. The point is to just read. It's fun. You'll like it. I promise you. :)

P.S. this is part two in a series and I had no idea so I'm picking up the first book KNOCK OFF today.

::Edit:: I'm currently pissed at the moment. Just finished the last chapter. This book had the potential to jack up the action, but the author copped out.I am severely disappointed. I liked everything leading up to the last chapter and was let down. The anticipation was there, the ending wasn't executed right. There were so many things that could've happened, there were so much action that could have been added but wasn't. -sigh- You can't just build me up like that and leave me hanging. Hope part three ends better. SHIT!

2 People Listening:

Anonymous said...

I will be getting at the library tomorrow...... love a good nonfiction

Treyz_CaliGurl said...

i'm a huge fan of books..we have a beautiful relationship..i've been neglectin them b/c of twitter also..but imma be sure to check into this book..thanks brina!

Related Posts with Thumbnails