Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Interesting | Black Barbie . . .

This is brought to you by the folks over at YBF.com


Mattel® announced yesterday the launch of So In Style™, a new line of black dolls by Barbie® featuring more authentic-looking facial features such as fuller lips, a wider nose, more distinctive cheek bones and curlier hair. Many folks are up in arms calling it overly stereotypical and isn’t good for little black girls’ psyche. Here’s a snippet from the press release:

So In Style™ (S.I.S.™) was developed and inspired by Barbie® designer of 12 years, Stacey McBride-Irby, an African-American mother of two who wanted to create a line of dolls more reflective of her daughter and community.

The So In Style™ line features Grace™, Kara™ and Trichelle™ dolls, three best friends who are all about fashion, fun and friendship. Each of the dolls features its own unique personality and style and reflects one of three varying skin tones. The S.I.S.™ line also introduces a mentoring theme; each doll is accompanied by a smaller doll or “little sister” and has different interests – from music and math to science and drill team. The big and little sister dolls are meant to introduce and inspire girls with mentoring themes.



MY thoughts: I think these Barbie's are goregous. I wish I had Barbie dolls like these when I was growing up. They fit out characteristics more than anything. I don't see anything stereotypical about them. If anything the Bratz dolls were stereotypical. I think its just that you can't satisfy everyone. Someone is going to complain about something. And what makes it worse is that its our own race complaining about dolls made just for us. WHO SIDE ARE YOU ON? *side eye* I hope by the time if I ever have children I have child that they will still be making these dolls for my daughter to play with. I just don't get some people. Always wanna complain. Just embrace and move on. You acting like they look horrible. They are beautiful.

1 People Listening:

PrettieBirdie said...

I love these Barbies...I'm definitely buying my babies some brown dolls when I have some.

Related Posts with Thumbnails